Thursday, February 17, 2011

Signaling Spring

Nothing signals the coming of Spring more than when the chickens start laying more eggs. I’m going to miss that.

Seeing the sun and not a snow shower again this morning I decided to let the girls out. Not that they would’ve minded romping around in the snow, just that I didn’t feel like being in it any more than I had to be. Anyway, so I carried the egg basket up to haul back the bounty they have laid for us and was shocked to see 23 eggs in the nest boxes. Of course I haven’t been out there in three days so it wasn’t completely unexpected to see a lot of eggs, just not that many.

Alas, it means Spring is almost here, and sadly we will not be here to enjoy another year of roses, lilacs, and a plethora of bulbs from daffodils to irises bloom. Okay, so we will see the daffodils and the tulips before we move, mostly because they are already pushing themselves up, or budding in the case of the daffodils. I just hope our friends all enjoy the irises I’ll be pulling up from the North side of the yard because I’ll be damned if I leave them here for the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment