Monday, February 28, 2011

Busyness and Procrastination

One busy weekend behind me and another just ahead. On top of it all we need to crack down on finding a new place to live.

With all the excitement of my sister’s baby shower behind me, my attention is immediately turned to not one big order, but two for Saturday; both of which require my attendance. This Saturday is our friend’s 90th birthday party, for which she ordered 300 cupcakes and a large cake shaped like a grand piano (and yes, I talked to her about the financial part and we got the whole thing figured out… two deaf people shouldn’t have a conversation in a loud room!), and then we are off to another friend’s annual Mardi Gras celebration, for which I am making my rum-infused pound cake version of the traditional King Cake, also as cupcakes. Needless to say my Friday will be filled with cupcake baking and frosting!

But with all the hustle and bustle it seems we are letting our need to start packing fall by the wayside. I mean, we haven’t boxed anything up yet and we’ve got a lot of stuff to sort through still. However, I may be overreacting. Shocking, I know. There is a lot of stuff we know that we aren’t going to take with us, but until we find a place to live, there may be a lot more that we will have to get rid of as well. I mean, it’d be silly to hang on to all of our yard tools and equipment if we are living in an apartment, but at the same time I would also hate to sell or donate it all too since it took years to acquire all of the various tools to make yard work easier. Ugh.

I suppose this is all a good thing. I’ve either gotten paid for or will get paid for the cake orders this weekend which my profit from will be a little less than I earn in a week working, although I’ll put in more hours than I do at work making the cupcakes and cake. That money will be able to go towards moving costs, rent and deposits. And while the prospect of moving sounds daunting, and while I will definitely miss this house for sentimental reasons, the realist in me knows we simply can’t afford the upkeep of owning a home anymore and so renting may be a bit of a relief for a while until we are able to get back on our feet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment