Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Central Park by Kate Spain

Sometimes when you see something you have an impulse to buy it. This was definitely the case with the Moda’s Central Park by Kate Spain.


On the Moda Bake Shop where I can frequently be found for a bit every day, I saw a quilt pattern by KarrieLyne from Freckled Whimsy that pretty much followed my requirements; simple and quick. It utilized a Layer Cake by Kate Spain and I had been eyeing that particular line since I first saw it a couple months ago but never had a reason to actually get it. Well, after knowing how difficult it can be to find a line of fabric even just a few months after release I decided not to take any chances and, after checking my favorite local quilt shop, I went onto Etsy and purchased it. Two days later it arrived in the mailbox, but since I was in the middle of working on my sister’s baby blanket I refrained from opening the package. Last night I couldn’t hold off any longer.

Normally I can refrain from such frivolous purchases, especially given our current circumstances, but I also knew that I’d kick myself in the ass for not getting a Layer Cake of this fabric before it was gone forever. I don’t know if I’ll actually make the pattern I saw or use the line for another type of quilt or make my own, but I know that I will use it and soon. Also, I can’t feel too guilty about the purchase since I bought it with money I made from selling puppet patterns in my Etsy shop.

There doesn’t seem to be just one thing that I love about Kate Spain’s Central Park, but it is the whole package. Her color choices; the perfect blend of flora and fauna and architectural details; large, medium and small scale prints that all work together cohesively; it’s fun and reminds me of my childhood even though I’ve never been to New York.

Alas, I have more pressing matters to attend to, like finishing my sister’s baby blanket and starting one for my brother who’s expecting his third child in June. It may seem silly to want to start work on this quilt when I’ve got my Fall Quilt started and unfinished from last year and my Winter Quilt still in planning stages, also from last year, but this will be my Summer Quilt. I don’t know if that is a reason to justify starting another quilt, but frankly I don’t give a damn, I’m going to anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment