Thursday, February 3, 2011

House Search

The process of looking for a new place to live can be daunting. Wait, not can be, but is.

Actively trying to find a place that will take dogs the size of ours and cats is proving more difficult than I thought it would be. Apartments seem to be more open to large dogs than houses and duplexes, which puzzles me as house and duplexes would be more large pet friendly. I mean, it seems to me that if a property owners wants to limit their liability from a large pet’s possible damage, either a larger pet deposit or having the tenants carry renter’s insurance would be the solution.

Another problem is finding places I think would be perfect, like a three bedroom house on two fenced in acres just down the street from my favorite fabric shop, Country Manor, but my partner doesn’t want to live on a busy street again. That, and the house, even with a full unfinished basement for tons of extra storage, a shed and a barn, was built in the 1930s. He’d rather have a newer house. I can understand that. Even if I think this place is cute and the rent is cheap and it’s just down the street from my favorite fabric shop.

I mean, I’m looking for potential places we may be able to take the chickens with us and still be able to grow our own veggies, which I suppose can be a problem. Those are things homeowners do, not renters. Okay, so some renters do those things, but I need to get out of the mindset of finding another home so much as finding a place to live for the next couple years. And as much as I’d hate apartment living, the simple fact is that most of them offer more living space for the money. Honestly a townhome with a small backyard or larger patio would be fine for now, so long as it had some storage space or a garage. It’s funny how our priorities seem to change the closer we get to moving time.

No comments:

Post a Comment