Friday, February 11, 2011

Muslin

Ever since I was a kid I’ve loved the look of natural cotton muslin and have always had it on hand for quilting and craft projects. Except, of course, when I find a few extra minutes to start the back of my sister’s baby blanket.

Muslin is one of those fabrics that you either love or don’t. Personally I like the look of natural muslin with its creamy and randomly brown-speckled color palette. While many people would shy away from using muslin in a quilt because of its loosely woven nature, I find that after washing it creates the perfect smooshiness, which is a technical term for the puckering that occurs on washed and dried quilts. Okay, so maybe only technical in quilting circles. It also softens up beautifully, which is why I love using it to back my baby blankets.

Of course, if you must know, and to nobody will this be a big surprise, the main reason I was attracted to natural cotton muslin is the cost. It is cheap. When there were sales I’d buy multiple yards at a time, stocking up for future projects. Well, this last year while working on projects for me, my family and my Etsy shop, I must have used up my stash because now all I have are scraps. Lots and lots of scraps. I guess that means I have to go get some more to finish the next couple projects I’ve got lined up. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment