Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl

Today is the Super Bowl. Which means, since neither team are worth rooting for in our household, is a chance to see what commercials companies have chosen to spend a large lump of their advertising budget on.

Okay, so I like football either way, but it isn’t nearly as fun when you don’t like either team. I guess, in this instance, one would have to choose the lesser of the two evils. Personally, that means rooting for the Packers because, well, I don’t like the Steelers. However, as much as the Super Bowl is about football, it is also about food. I’ve had my pulled pork in the crock pot slow cooking since yesterday so it’ll be ready a little after game time. We’re apparently also getting wings, so I made some homemade blue cheese dressing to go with it.

But the ironic thing about today is that we are also having a panel discussion with some of our local elected officials and community leaders at our church about child hunger. Don’t worry to anyone who is attending, it will be over well before the Super Bowl starts! For this I was hired to make lunch for 70-100 people, and my decisions were inspired by tea sandwiches because they seemed the antithesis of the traditional football fare you’d see. Open-faced cucumber sandwiches and chicken salad sandwiches made with apples, celery, red onion, dried cranberries, walnuts and mayonnaise which are absolutely delicious, along with tuna and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. I also made a second chicken sandwich with a pesto mayonnaise blend and topped with a halved grape tomato. The taste testing panel I had helping me assemble these sandwiches agree that everything is delicious.

So if you haven’t put together a spread for Super Bowl yet, think about tea sandwiches too. They are perfect two-bite finger foods that are super easy to make, whether using the small breads or simply doing as I did and slicing regular bread into quarters. Of course, I’ll be devouring hot wings and pulled pork sandwiches! And also, if you can, please donate to your local shelter or food bank. A little food from a lot of people would make a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment