Sunday, May 8, 2011

Parents

Growing up, I had a multitude of parents. To people who think a family of only one man and one woman is the only legitimate family, I offer a different view.

Yes, I had both a mom and a dad growing up. But I also had a grandmother heavily involved in the first few years of my life, if for no other reason because my parents were so young when I was born. While my parents were married they had two more children, but as life happens, people grow apart, and they eventually separated. This opened the door for stepparents, a role that has got to be difficult to step into. After all, my stepdad took on three kids and had one on the way with my mom. My stepmom went from having two kids to five almost overnight. To say that neither of these people played a significant role in my upbringing would be a grave disservice to them.

Parents come in all forms. Some people are raised by their grandparents, some people by foster parents, some by stepparents, some by adopted parents and some by biological parents. A key word in all of these figures is ‘parents’. So what I don’t understand is why some people feel the need to blast others for taking on a parental role for kids who are not their own. How can having more parents involved in a child’s life be a bad thing? What harm can come from a child growing up with multiple parents?

Personally, I’m thankful my parents got divorced. I’m thankful they both remarried. I’m thankful that my mother and stepfather also got divorced and my dad and stepmother are still together. And I’m thankful that they are all still very actively involved in my life at the age of thirty-four. (Oh gawd, I’m that old already? Eeek!) But honestly, aunts, uncles and family friends played a huge role too. As Hilary Clinton wrote about it taking a village to raise a child, I wholeheartedly agree. So this Mother’s Day I say thank you to the village that raised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment