Friday, May 6, 2011

Patching, Taping and Ants

Yesterday I spent my day off patching holes, some fist-sized, and taping the molding to prepare for painting. Nothing, however, could have prepared me for the ants.


 I decided first and foremost to tackle the large hole in the living room since I knew it would require a couple coats of joint compound over the aluminum mesh. Of course, I forgot how large some of the other holes in the house were, particularly the back bedroom which, quite honestly, just needs to be completely re-drywalled. Actually that back bedroom will require a lot of work. A lot.


I then moved on to taping the molding and quickly ran out of tape. Figures. So I went to the store and bought a couple more rolls to finish. Of course, I had to wipe off all the walls and molding first because of the massive amount of dust buildup, and I’m not really sure why I even bothered considering the previous tenants obviously didn’t as their paint job was quite sloppily smeared all over it.


And finally I started taking off outlet and light switch covers. Working my way around the house I taped the screws to the covers and moved on from room to room. So I am in the kitchen and start unscrewing one of the outlet covers and an ant crawls out. I think nothing of it and continue until the screws are out. I pried off the cover and I swear to God it was just like a scene out of Arachnophobia only with ants, crawling out from within the confines of the box and over the walls, spilling onto the counters. Thankfully there was a can of ant and roach killer in the kitchen and I quickly sprayed down the whole thing. I’m quite surprised I didn’t electrocute myself or start a fire spraying an aerosol directly into an active electrical outlet.


So Sunday we paint. Alas, we still haven’t decided on colors for what rooms, but we’ve got it narrowed down to the colors we like for the house. More than likely we’ll end up buying the paint Sunday morning and then going straight over to the house to start painting. And hopefully there won’t be another ant incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment