Monday, December 26, 2011

The Importance of Measuring

I’m a baker and a cook and I don’t usually measure very accurately while doing so. Apparently those mad skills I possess in the kitchen do not translate into quilting.

While showing the family my quilt top I just finished for The Fall Quilt, I decided to go ahead and pull out the backing too. It looked a little small, but I figured it was just an optical illusion. However, the question quelled my mind until I made certain that was indeed the case. It wasn’t. The backing is about six inches smaller all around than I wanted it to be. Damn.

And so now I have a few options. For one, I could rip the stitches around the entire thing and add more of the inside and border fabric, but that honestly sounds like too much work. Secondly I could add more of the border fabric only and have a couple seems around the edges. Or third, use a different fabric for the binding than I had originally had in mind. I’m leaning toward the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment