Thursday, December 1, 2011

Operation Auction Quilt: Complete

Sometimes I look at a project and say to myself, “Damn, I’m good.” This is one of those projects.

With only days to spare until the actual silent auction at church, I finally finished the baby quilt I set out to donate. I say finally, but I made the top on Saturday and bought and cut the backing, sandwiched it with some Warm and Natural cotton batting and safety pinned it every six inches before quilting and binding it yesterday. I’m still new to machine quilting so I decided to utilize a simple technique I did when I made my niece’s diaper bag, which is loose wavy lines over the seams. It’s like quilting in the ditch but for those of us who aren’t so great at perfectly straight lines.

I have to say the backing I found (on sale for less than three dollars a yard at JoAnn’s) works out perfectly. It was a stroke of luck I even found it since I had already picked up my number for the cutting table and was wasting time wandering around until my number was called when I spotted this gem. Within just a few seconds of seeing it, I heard my number, snatched it up and rushed to the table to have a couple yards of it cut. I only needed one yard, but wanted to have extra for my stash. I’m awful like that.

Because I was so ready to finish this project, it completely slipped my mind to embroider my name onto the backing before quilting it, so I opted instead to make a label. Using some of the selvage from the center panel and a permanent fabric pen, I wrote my name and the year, ironed on some fusible webbing, ironed it onto the back of a section I was about to quilt and did a quick zigzag stitch around it before quilting my last line. It isn’t perfect, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment