Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Of Cats and Dogs

Since I’ve been back to work the dog and cat seem to be showing me more attention when I get home. Unfortunately all I want to do is get out of my shirt and tie.

I had a feeling that once I went back to work our dog, Lucy, would show some inclination of being excited to see me when I would get home. After all, she practically does back flips when my partner walks in the door. However, I wasn’t expecting the transition to also go the other way. I mean, I’m actually excited to see her too… I just want to get out of my business clothes, throw on a screen T-shirt and jeans and then I’ll play with her. She doesn’t seem to have that kind of patience. I guess I only have myself to blame.

The cat, Tuesday, has never really been the cuddling type. I mean the type to let you pet her for a few seconds and then swipe your face with her protracted claws, yes, but cuddly? Not so much. Anyway, in the morning while blogging she likes to sit next to me and even allows me to reach over and pet her every now and then. I’m not sure if it’s because she misses me not being around all the time or because she’s getting old and she’s finally calming down, but it has been a nice change.

Right now the cat is licking her ass and the dog is laying down on the couch atop her new pet blanket that rarely gets tangled beneath her. I say rarely because even with strategic planning she still sometimes drags her feet getting up, catching the edge of the blanket and dragging it under her before lying down. It happens, but not nearly as much as with the two smaller blankets, so I suppose it is a success. The cat still meows ferociously in the morning and throws herself against the bedroom door if we aren’t awake so we can get up and feed her and the dog still manages to knock stuff over and get into stuff she shouldn’t, but really, I couldn’t imagine my life without the love of a pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment