Friday, November 12, 2010

Reading

I used to read a lot. Now it seems my book reading has been replaced with blogs and Facebook status updates.

In anticipation of the last of the Harry Potter movies (well, part 1 anyway) my partner has been rereading the book, albeit this time at a much more relaxed pace. The first time was a fervent effort to get through it as quickly as possible to talk about it among friends. I, on the other hand, took my time reading it because I like to enjoy the words I’m looking at and imagining the scenarios rather than simply take it all in so quickly just so I know what happens in the end.

I enjoy reading. It is one of those simple pleasures that can transport you to another world or thinking of new ideas. I don’t really have a particular genre I like more than another, but I must admit I do like mysteries, fantasies and thrillers. And if it is quirky, all the better. Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins is a great example of a quirky, fun read that got me hooked from the first line of the book. Of course, the first line is, “It has been reported that Tanuki fell from the sky using his scrotum as a parachute.”

However, I must admit, my reading has dwindled dramatically as of late. Ever since I realized the book I had started earlier this year was a sequel to the popular All Quiet on the Western Front it has made me want to read that book first. Plus I’ll probably have to start the book over anyway because I don’t remember where I left off and a little person was kind enough to take the bookmark out of its place.

1 comment:

  1. I love to read but found I wasn't reading as much as a I used to. Then I bought an e-reader. I have a sony. I once again read all the time and that is with 2 kids and a going to school full time. It was an expensive purchase but I feel it was worth it since it brought reading back into my life.

    ReplyDelete