Friday, November 19, 2010

Wants versus Needs

So this weekend I really want to get as much as I can on my fall quilt, but at the same time have to practically gut my craft room due to, well, chaos and impending company. I guess what I want to do will have to wait until after I finish what I need to do.

It’s a classic pairing, want and need. I want ice cream but I need to lose weight. I want a new TV but I need to pay the bills. I’m not saying either of these are me, just using them as an analogy, as I’m perfectly fine eating ice cream and watching TV with our current set. Anyway, I’m thinking that if I can at least finish the four feature panels this weekend I’ll be happy. Currently I have one appliquéd but no embroidery work on it. Yes, I’m quite lazy… probably too much eating ice cream and watching television.

The craft room shouldn’t be too hard to prepare for our Thanksgiving weekend guest, my partner’s sister, but just the thought of going in there to clean it seems daunting. Perhaps that is because I tend to just toss stuff in there rather than put anything away. I’m certain that keeping the door closed at all times doesn’t help the fact, as it truly is out of sight, out of mind. Ugh. I should probably spend some time cleaning off the desk in there too, as it has acquired a vast amount of stuff, some of which needs to be thrown away and others put into a scrapbook box. And I’ll also have to figure out how where to put all of the puppet making materials I have under the two card tables, which will obviously have to be moved out. Hmm… maybe I can get away with having one in there if I cover it with a table cloth? Lazy? Absolutely. But quite practical given the sheer amount of stuff I need to hide.

And so it appears my weekend will be filled with cleaning instead of quilting. Oh, the sacrifices we make in the name of family. Well, that and the simple need to organize our crap every now and then.

2 comments:

  1. Ive just had to re-organise my sewing room so I completely hear your pain. Mine was because someone moved out though so it was kind of exciting.

    I hope you get a little quilting or creating done amongst that cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a happy cleaning, getting a room back! I lovingly refer to my spare room as a craft room, but really, it just holds all my crafting crap and is rarely used to actually craft... except when it's clean. I always lie to myself into believing it'll stay neat and organized, but really, it isn't going to be that difficult to clean, I just need to do it. And apparently proofread my posts again before publishing them! Good night! I had a ton of grammatical errors today.

    ReplyDelete