Monday, November 22, 2010

Planning Thanksgiving

So with only a few short days away until Thanksgiving, I suppose I need to head to the grocery store to make my purchases. Of course, planning ahead in case the few guests we are having over forget to bring their respective dishes will prevent any (food) disasters.

We are keeping the menu simple, as there isn’t really a need for 20 different side options when there will only be five people, but still, having a variety will be nice. It would be a good idea while grocery shopping to pick up a few cans of green beans, corn, and any other simple veggies, and perhaps even a frozen pie… just to be prepared for missing items your guests may forget. Getting cans and frozen items will make it look like you have a well-stocked pantry and freezer without insulting your guests that you are anticipating they’ll forget something.

I’m also thinking that anything that can be done ahead of time should be, but looking at my list of items we’re preparing, that only leaves the cranberry sauce. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing really aren’t make ahead items, but cranberry sauce can be prepared a week or two in advance. Hmmm… I sense tomorrow’s post. Oh! And how could I forget that my partner is making homemade rolls?

2 comments:

  1. Try these mashed potatoes and you can make them ahead of time.
    They are very very very good.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/11/delicious_creamy_mashed_potatoes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved the trouble of others forgetting what they are suppose to bring, all they have to bring, is themselves,,,,if they forget that, they are all in so much trouble!

    ReplyDelete