Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Aunt Drama Continues

“Never make a promise you can’t keep” is said throughout the Bible. I guess some people who claim to be Christians didn’t get the memo.

Apparently the aunt went to pick up the older boy the other day to stay the night and go to his cousin’s soccer practice. When their mother asked why she wasn’t also taking the younger boy, the aunt said that she’ll pick him up after practice and take them all to a movie. Needless to say she called right before she was supposed to pick him up and said she wouldn’t have time to get him before the movie started. The younger boy was obviously distraught over the matter and asked his mother to call his daddies to talk to us. As luck would have it, my phone was away from me because I was at the church setting up a wedding cake when this all went down. However, we picked him up after the wedding.

Honestly, I don’t understand why the aunt, who claims we are causing psychological damage to the kids by helping parent them, doesn’t see she is the cause of quite a bit of his emotional distress. I was hoping that she would at least have the integrity to keep her word, but apparently breaking promises made to people she says she loves come relatively easy, as evident by her actions over the course of this last year. I wonder if she ever intended on picking him up or if it was just a lie she told in order to get a playmate for her daughter so she wouldn’t have to entertain her. I don’t think she got the memo about never making promises you can’t keep… or have no intention of keeping.

Alas, I know that blogging about this is petty, but as an emotionally stunted person, I find the best way to get out my frustrations is to write about them. And when the actions of one person affect the lives of so many people I care about, I can’t just stand by idly either. Until she will actually talk to me face to face, I suppose my only choices of recourse are to ignore the shenanigans or write about it. Obviously I’ve chosen the latter.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't let her take just one child anymore period. Tell her the reason why too. It is either both of them or neither of them. You may not be able to keep the promises she makes and then breaks, but I am sure you have a say in how to control things so this doesn't happen again. Good luck. I use to have to deal with things like that when I was fostering kids in the system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's their mother's sister so we really don't have much say in the matter. However, through conversations with their mom she's getting tired of this too. We'll see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete