Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wedding Cake Planning

I’m beginning to freak out a bit about a wedding cake I’ve got to start making Thursday. However, it isn’t about the cake, it’s being surrounded by boxes while baking.

Life is funny. Six months ago when I took this cake order I had no idea that our house would be foreclosed on and we’d have to move during the week of this particular wedding cake. Of course, it isn’t really at all surprising. I mean, this is, after all, the way life works most of the time. Obstacles seem meticulously placed at what seems inopportune times. Whoever said that God doesn’t have a sense of humor obviously hasn’t been paying attention.

So Thursday I’m baking, Friday decorating, and Saturday setting up and putting on the final touches to the cake. This should all go rather smoothly, in theory. The main issue I’m worried about is that this will also be the first weekend we have the house and the limited amount of time we’ll have to paint and clean before moving in over Easter weekend. Ugh. Again, funny. I’m just glad we don’t have those big Easters like we did when I was growing up because that would mean I’d be obligated to make ten dozen deviled eggs and possibly a few cakes. Part of me thinks we’ll be skipping church Palm Sunday to paint. Actually, a really big part of me.

I guess the main thing I should worry about is making sure I’ve got everything for the cake in place so I’m not freaking out any more than usual. With a four-tier wedding cake that has three satellites, that’s a lot of cake to bake, ice and decorate. And while I did plan out as much as I could last week as far as breakdowns for supplies and costs, I still haven’t actually purchased some of the stuff required. I suppose that is what I should be doing right now before I go to work this afternoon, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment