Saturday, April 23, 2011

Paint

We’ve really got to move into the new house, but first we have to paint. I don’t think there is a single wall that doesn’t need it in the entire house.

I suppose the task of painting wouldn’t seem so daunting if that was all we had to do, but alas, there is an assload of prep-work that needs to be done first. Holes patched, some the size of a fist curiously, and texture reapplied to the walls that won’t be covered by, say, a bookcase, picture or art. I can’t imagine this part to be too difficult, but coming from a house where there is so much paint on the walls the texture is practically nonexistent I don’t have much experience in the matter.

Initially we were thinking of getting various paints and painting each room differently, but now we’re thinking a 5-gallon bucket of a neutral color will make it easiest. Hell, I’d live with the colors that are up on the walls now if I could, but trust me when I take pictures and show ya’ll it will be plainly obvious why pea green, baby-shit orange and battleship grey do not complement each other. I’m sure the previous tenants thought that peas and carrots would go together, but I find it difficult to trust their judgment when there was a wall of Dale Earnhardt memorabilia (okay, so ripped and taped pages from magazines and newspapers) in the living room covering up the vaulted wall of the green, and the impractical ability to walk into the kitchen without nearly impaling yourself because it was so jam-packed (and not at all packed for moving) with crap that the nasty orange was only visible in patches. This is saying a lot about the orange because I love orange. My phone is orange, my stainless steel water bottle is orange, my favorite market bag our friend Sarah made me is orange, our office is orange (burnt mandarin), and a lot of my fabric stash has orange in it. I don’t love the orange kitchen, which is sad because it would require minimal touch ups only if we were to keep it. They did, after all, leave the extra paint in the garage.

We could even use up some of the paint we have from painting here, but there isn’t enough to paint an entire room. That and we bought bolder, darker colors that would work for this house because it has so much natural light but would be unusable in the new house because of its lack of light. As much as I despise white walls, I’d rather have that than the cave of navy blue that is the master bathroom. At the same time, the only color I do like, even though it makes the hallway look dark, is that battleship grey, so perhaps bold doesn’t need to be shied away from, just carefully planned. Ugh, I just really want this move to be over with already!

No comments:

Post a Comment