Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Pineapple Dilemma

When I was in middle school I had a horrible allergic reaction to pineapple. Ever since I’ve avoided it like the plague, but is that really fair?

Okay, so here is the deal, I went grocery shopping yesterday and it seems that pineapples are everywhere. Now, this isn’t to say that I haven’t had pineapple since, but usually it has been cooked until unrecognizable, as in a sauce or glaze, or dehydrated, neither of which has caused a reaction. But I’ve also had it both fresh and canned and the same reaction occurred; tightened throat and I squeal like a pig. Again, I was thirteen the last time I actually ate any regular pineapple chunks and I’m significantly older than that now, so perhaps it was one of those puberty allergies that go away. Or perhaps it is worse now and I could have a fatal reaction if I try it again. What can I say, I’m willing to live on the dangerous side. Of course, without health insurance maybe this isn’t such a good idea. Then again, I do have a very large bottle of generic Benadryl and can always pop six of those should a reaction happen. Either way, I bought one and it is sitting on the counter. My husband thinks the world of me for getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment