Sunday, January 15, 2012

Crème Brûlée

Last week I decided to finally make crème brûlée. Oh. My. Gawd.

Since I had a kitchen torch I got a couple Christmases ago and had never tried it out, I figured, what the hell, make something with it. So after digging around on the internet and seeing the outrageous prices for butane to fill the damn thing, I went next door to where I work to a discount wine and tobacco store and got a ten and a half ounce bottle for three bucks. All that research led me to believe that as long as it was refined a few times (this bottle was refined five times) it won’t gunk up your torch.

Now, I must admit, I’ve never made crème brûlée before. I believe I must post this disclaimer because not only did I make up a recipe on the fly by taking what I liked about a couple different recipes, but also videoed myself during the process. Let’s just say that I’m that confident in my baking and cooking skills that I knew I’d be able to pull something amazing out of my chef’s hat. It’s a rarity in my life to be confident about something, but food-wise, yeah, I pretty much got it nailed.

Oh, and after watching the video, you really need to make this. If you don’t have a kitchen torch, simply set your broiler to high and place the sugar topped custard ramekins a few inches under it for about thirty seconds to a minute, or until the sugar caramelizes. Otherwise, get a torch. They’re a hell of a lot of fun to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment