Thursday, January 12, 2012

Yeast

Yeast is a four letter word in our house. Yes, I’m aware there are technically five letters in the word too.

Our dog, Lucy, has chronic yeast infections all over her body due to environmental allergies which, on top of that, has also developed an allergy to yeast itself. This current episode is horrific, though not nearly as bad as the one she had a year ago. It’s not like the condition ever goes away, but a few times a year it seems worse than others. With an über dose of Ketoconazole (800 MG daily) and a Ketoconazole topical cream added to the mix this time, I’m hoping to get it under control fast.

My pizza crust recipe also calls for yeast. Yeast I keep in the refrigerator. For baking. Yesterday I decided to make my Shrimp Pesto Pizza crust entirely from whole wheat flour. While it doesn’t have the same chewiness as using equal parts whole wheat and white, it has the perfect flavor to complement the pesto, spinach, garlic, olives, Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese, parmesan and shrimp. This is where yeast is not such a bad thing as it takes a few ingredients and turns them into something amazing. Okay, so I  make it amazing.

So I guess the moral of the story is what makes one dog miserable is a vital part of what makes the world a better place for all because there is pizza in it. Though they are different yeasts. That would be gross if they were one in the same. Although, the possibilities of being able to harness the power of the yeast directly from my dog to make pizza crust is intriguing. Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit for even thinking such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment