Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Household Chores

I can’t believe I’m actually going to admit this, but I miss doing the dishes and vacuuming on a regular basis. Sad, isn’t it?

This morning I was staring at a pile of dishes in the sink and counter, a full dishwasher that required unloading and a floor that, while I know was just vacuumed, needs to be done again and thought, “I miss this.” I don’t know if it was because while I was unemployed my life pretty much consisted of maintaining the house or if I truly enjoyed the tasks, but I can tell you without a doubt that I tried to focus my time at home on getting the chores done. It could be because once the chores were done and the applications filled out and all records put into a log I was finally able to craft or cake. Maybe that is the part I miss? I’m not so certain.

Now that I have a job and my free time is relegated to making dinner after I get home from work (I love to cook, so this isn’t a complaint!) before checking my email and heading off to bed, crafts and cakes seem like the chores I’d put off into the realm of toilet cleaning and mopping. You know, the dreaded stuff. So as it is I haven’t made a cake in quite some time and the idea of doing so is like a dagger in my side that yet another venture I tried failed. Okay, so technically it hasn’t failed. I still take cake orders, but with my work schedule and living situation it is much more difficult to do anywhere near as many as I used to. It has also made me realize just how much time I’ve spent making cakes and how little money I’d make from them, if any. Same thing is true with my Etsy Shop, with the exception of the patterns I sell. Somehow by not having the same amount of time to devote to these hobbies as I used to has made them unenjoyable, and that’s sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment