Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer

Summer is supposed to be laid back. Then why does it seem like I’m so busy?

There once was a time when it felt like summer would never end. I was twelve. I couldn’t tell you how many trips or places we went or what all we did because it seemed like the never-ending summer vacation. Add to it that the summer of 1989 was one of the biggest box-office success stories theaters had seen in a while and you can see why there was never a dull moment for us kids. However, even with all we did, we never felt busy. We were, after all, having fun… and lots of it.

This summer I feel like I haven’t had a chance to relax much at all. Yesterday after church was a nice getaway from the daily hustle and bustle, spending time with family at my aunt and uncle’s house on the Columbia River and sitting by the pool. I don’t swim, so a couple feet away was about as close as I got to the water. However, once home it was back to grindstone figuring out a layout for a postcard mailing on one of the committees I serve on at church and preparing for another long day.

Fortunately I will have to do some quilting in my very near future, since I have a baby shower next Sunday. I’ve already finished the top (months ago, I might add), so it will just be a matter of foraging through my stash for a border or binding. Of course, I also have one-hundred-twenty cupcakes to make for the shower and we’ve got the kids this coming weekend and I’m working all day Friday and half of Saturday and have another event my family wants us all to go to Saturday evening.

Alas, the busyness never ends. Sometimes I wonder if I will look back and compare the summer of 2011 to the summer of 1989. Then again, I don’t think anything can compare to the freedom I felt at that young age. I can only hope that our kids will be able to experience even just a fraction of that exhilarating summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment