Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Virtues of Unfair

Just when it seems that life is done throwing you punches, it sneaks in another blow. Honestly I think the game should’ve been over by now.

2010 was a crappy year. Just saying. I mean, my husband and I probably dealt with some of the most difficult aspects of life during the year between all of our savings, retirement plans and unemployment benefits being completely drained to the bank deciding that, after making all of our trial payments for a home loan modification (nine months worth for what was supposed to be a three month trial) to go ahead and foreclose on the house… without even telling us until after we called them to find out what was going on. In the meantime it was just reported that the same bank has been quietly modifying loans on homeowners who have not been seeking the service.

So when it was New Year’s Day, we all thought that 2011 was going to be better. Were we ever wrong. Yes, I did finally manage to find a job right before Christmas, but unfortunately since we were under the assumption that the bank was going to auction off our house in April, we actively started packing and house searching. Surprisingly we found a house in our price range with all the requirements we were looking for. Well, mostly. I’d still prefer a laundry room inside, but the garage space is bigger and cleaner than the old house so it, along with the eat-in kitchen, has been growing on me. Of course, with the laundry room in the garage, the pile of laundry out there has been growing too! Anyway, my husband calls to find out who now owns the house after the auction was supposed to take place and they informed him that it was postponed. It has since been postponed two more times and we are expecting another postponement in the next week. Basically it means that the bank still won’t take the house back and we could’ve been living rent-free. Although, in all fairness, I really like the neighborhood we did move to, and the water heater at the old house finally sprung a bigger leak than we could fix without replacing it, so alas, all things happen for a reason, right?

I was also supposed to be in school, but this also keeps getting postponed in what seems the same crap we dealt with during our bank and the home loan modification process; missing paperwork. The last time I was assured I had everything in that I could possibly need because, well, there simply was not any other paperwork they had that I hadn’t already filled out at least two times. Of course, I wasn’t informed that my financial aid required me to turn in the same paperwork yet again because something was missing (for the record, I made copies and nothing was) until the last day to apply for financial aid for Summer quarter, which of course I didn’t get the email until after I got home from work and the office was closed. By this point so many other things were going on I just decided that the universe was obviously trying to tell me something, and it wasn’t what I wanted to hear.

Here we are, a couple months after most of these debacles have taken place, and I seem to finally be ready to accept what life has thrown at me and move on. I could dwell on the unfairness of it all, but really, how unfair is it? We have supportive family and friends, a roof over our heads, and one of us has a job to get us by until Fall when hopefully a full-time teaching position will be made available for my husband. And if not, we’ll just keep on taking life’s punches. It may not be fair, but really, when has life ever been?

1 comment:

  1. Life is like a rollercoaster, it has it ups as well as it downs, yes my life too sometimes seems like I get kicked when I am down, over and over again. Then it will all start going up, and just when you think your almost to the top, whooosshhh you go right back to the bottom again. Life is what it is, hang in there and go with it. It is how we survive. Your not alone.

    ReplyDelete