Friday, July 22, 2011

One Down, Ninety-Nine To Go

I set aside yesterday for one thing and one thing only, quilting. I barely did any.

I had no other plans for the day but to catch up on The Desperate Housewife’s Quilt Jane is hosting on her blog (http://quiltjane.blogspot.com), however, a call from the boys’s mother quickly changed that. Medical emergencies are no fun, so I hope everything is okay and it was just a scare.

And so with the munchkins in hand we went home and played. After lunch and putting the younger one in for a nap, I asked the older one if he wanted to help me pick colors out for the quilt blocks I was intending on making. The boy gobbled up the chance. We decided to use black and white and batiks in various colors. I’ve been wanting to do something with my stash of batiks for years and so I may have steered him towards that pile. Once the colors were picked we went to the table and began the arduous task of cutting what seemed like a million little one-and-a-half inch squares with a few two inch squares for good measure. Of course by the time we were done cutting, and since we spent a good hour on our color choices, it was time to wake the younger kiddo up and get them ready for their soccer game and pictures.

It wasn’t until after tucking the boys in to bed for the night I was finally able to start piecing the block. I made sure to do so carefully since, again, lots of small squares and half square triangles, I didn’t want to be ripping seems all night. With that I finished my first of fifty blocks from Jane herself and fifty from guest bloggers. Yes, one of ninety-nine. But once completed I will have one hundred different blocks with so many different patterns and techniques under my belt that I will have a better understanding of quilting… in theory. I mean, I’ve only been doing this since I was a kid. And also I’ll have enough blocks for a good sized sampler quilt or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment