Thursday, September 1, 2011

Quilt Block Blues

Do you ever start a quilt block and decide that perhaps it would be best to rethink the design slightly? I’m having those thoughts lately.

I’m currently working on Block 5 of The Desperate Housewife’s Quilt over on Jane’s blog, Want it, Need it, Quilt! (http://quiltjane.blogspot.com) and have been thinking that, while I love the design, I really want to incorporate my appliqué style into it, which isn’t much other than hand turned with obvious stitching. Therein lies the problem. I told myself to start this fifty blocks in fifty weeks thing (which, admittedly, I’m four weeks behind, but I’ll catch up by this weekend) to learn new techniques. So, what is one to do?

Okay, so really there are a few issues I’ve encountered, which, let’s be honest, I’m not all that great at following directions. So what if my block isn’t the right size and I need to adjust the center appliqué pieces to compensate? My other option would be to simply take the extra block pieces (it made twice as many as required) and start over, but I feel like that would be a waste considering the finished block is perfectly fine the way it is. Of course, it doesn’t help that Jane herself has been telling me she can’t wait to see what I do using the batiks I’ve chosen for this quilt, so perhaps a bit of performance anxiety is happening here too! Okay, so that is just an excuse, as her encouragement keeps me going.

And so I’ve made the decision to go ahead and use both the iron on fusible web technique combined with hand turned appliqué. Why? Because my blanket stitch sucks, and of all the various stitches available to me on my 1963 Singer Touch N’ Sew Deluxe Zig Zag Model 600 sewing machine, that isn’t one of them. The bulk should prove a challenge, but I shall overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment