Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Husband

Today is my husband’s birthday. Unfortunately we are too poor to do anything to celebrate it.

Actually the us being poor thing isn’t anything new. I mean, after years and years and years of it we should be used to it by now. However, it still comes as a shock when the bank account approaches single digits towards the end of the month. Let’s just say neither of us are competent budgeters. Alas, this post isn’t about budgets or competency or tiny available balances, it’s about my husband and today is his birthday.

We met in 1995 in a 7AM Psychology class in college. It was my first college course, and only God knows why I chose that time. But if I didn’t I wouldn’t have met the man I would eventually marry (only recognized by our church, mind you) and embark on the adventure known as life. Fortunately we have just enough in common to keep us interested and just the right amount of separate interests to keep us from tearing each other apart. We’ve dabbled into each other’s separate interests without any success, but I don’t regret trying them out and I doubt he does either. Well, maybe a little. I’ve still got fabric for a couple different quilts he wanted to make.

Throughout the years, he has been the one to take charge in the relationship. He took care of the bills, the decisions, the everything. Until one day he had enough and made me make a decision. I don’t know if he regrets the fact that I’m much more opinionated and speak my mind more than, well, I never really did before, but I know that I am grateful for him for bringing out those aspects. Being complacent does, after all, become quite frustrating after a while. I have taken on bill paying and have always done most of the cleaning and cooking, but I still let him talk on the phone with practically anyone. I hate talking on the phone. Partly because I’m deaf and can’t understand half the words people say, and partly because my visual brain prefers visual contact either in words or being able to see the person to account for body language and attempt to read their lips. Okay, so these are mostly excuses. I just really don’t like talking on the phone. Never have. Probably never will.

So today being his birthday, and my day off, I’m not exactly sure what we’ll do. I’m not sure if we’ll take advantage of this gorgeous weather we’ve had the past couple days (albeit cold mornings) or if I will instead get the house cleaned and ready for a small party we’re planning for Friday night after the play he’s been helping with like I had originally planned. I wish we could afford to take a trip or even just take him to buy new clothes or be able to have a real birthday party instead of a small get-together for cupcakes and drinks. I don’t know if some day this will ever be able to happen, but I hope it will. I do know, however, that I would be lost without him.

Happy Birthday Greggy! May your dreams never fade and your hope for a better tomorrow never waive.

No comments:

Post a Comment