Friday, October 21, 2011

Simultaneous Projects

Working on multiple projects can be rewarding. It can also be mind boggling.

While on my break yesterday at work I started embroidering the feature panels. Free flowing embroidery is one of my favorite things to do as it adds a new level of dimension and texture to a quilt. Deciding on where lines should be flowing and color choosing are the only hard parts, but pushing the boundaries between reality and fantasy are part of the fun. I use the same approach when illustrating a children’s book or painting in that I will sometimes put shadows and highlights in places they wouldn’t normally occur. I’m not sure why I do this, I just like the look.


After getting home and reheating some delicious Chicken and Corn Chowder I made a few nights ago for dinner, I continued working on Block Thirteen of The Desperate Housewife’s Quilt. This block is taking a little longer than most in that there is a lot of hand stitching. Must be because Block Twelve went together so quickly! I should be finished with it tonight, assuming I don’t run into any obstacles.


Sometimes it is best to have multiple projects going on at the same time when there are tedious and repetitious tasks to perform. That way when you inevitably get bored, you can always switch to another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment