Monday, March 21, 2011

Baby Quilts

Finally I got some quilting done over the weekend. You have no idea how good that feels.

After working a couple extra shifts at work earlier in the week, I ended up having a four day weekend. One would think I’d have taken full advantage of that and packed up stuff or finished a few projects. Instead I spent most of Thursday doing nothing. Okay, that isn’t true, I did go grocery shopping.

Friday, after wrestling with my dog trying to bathe her and then cleaning up her sudden head-shake induced blood splatter off the walls, door, ceiling, counter, floor, and especially the cabinets, I cut my hair and showered myself. Then I hopped in the car and desperately searched for the Better Homes and Gardens Perfect for Precuts special publication because some of my favorite designers were featured on the back cover. Yes, I know, silly. Anyway, it was to no avail as I went to all three major craft stores and my favorite quilt shop, Country Manor, in search of it. Oh well, I got some more needles for my sewing machine and a new rotary blade for my cutter since it’s been a bit dull as of late and picked up another fat quarter of fabric to finish my brother’s baby-to-be’s quilt. I then did the dishes before my husband got home to make it look like some housework had gotten done.

Fast forward to Friday evening. I somehow managed, after my somewhat busy day to also start and finish the top of my brother’s baby-to-be’s quilt. I can’t show any pictures because he reads this blog too because, well, my family is nosy and likes to know as much as possible about everyone probably so any juicy bits can be used against them in an argument. We all do this. Anyway, Friday night I had one quilt top down. Yea.

Saturday was too busy, what with looking at the house we’ll be renting next month and then off to the Farmer’s Market and then a trip to the emergency room to watch the boys while their mother took her seven month old daughter in to find out why she had a 104 degree fever and then out to dinner and drinks with friends for my unbirthday since I spent my birthday weekend making cakes and celebrating other peoples birthdays and holidays. Okay, so Mardi Gras isn’t so much a holiday as it is an alcohol-laden gluttonfest, but still.

Sunday after church, which I’m surprised I even went since I was so tired and had zero energy from the night before, I made a late breakfast and then started figuring out how I was going to make the three baby quilts I said I’d make for an auction our church is holding for an additional fundraiser to pay for the stained glass and roof repair work that was done last year. I’d decided a while ago that I wanted to use the Lily & Will line and picked up two Charm packs to complete all three quilts last month. Yes, I know this doesn’t seem like enough, but I knew that I already had some solid cream Charms leftover from my sister’s baby blanket that I could use to make up the difference. And so after separating the squares into colorways of pink, blue and green, I then used the remaining cream and brown squares to fill in and added two solid creams to each pile. After randomizing the squares I chain stitched them together and then pieced the whole thing rather quickly. Gotta love precuts. I’ll be posting the process I went through soon. However, one top down, two more to go. I’m hoping to have those done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment