Friday, March 25, 2011

Lady Gaga Themed Cake

One of my coworkers is obsessed with Lady Gaga. Let’s just say that I am not.

As I told one of my other coworkers I was having a difficult time coming up with a plan for the cake because I couldn’t get the Push, Olivia, PUSH! cake out of my head (Google it, but don’t say I didn’t warn you), so my coworker, who is really good friends with the other coworker who’s having the birthday, said to make that cake but with her giving birth to a cat. I decided her love of Lady Gaga would make it more appropriate for her to give birth to a cat holding a telephone (it was the only song I could think of that I’d heard… again, not a fan.) Anyway, the other day, somehow, I walked in on a conversation about pickles between the two of them and asked if I needed to incorporate pickles into the cake. And so it was decided.

Before beginning work on the cake I needed to check out a few things. Using the power of the Google I typed in “lady gaga giving birth” into the search bar just in case she’d already done this. Apparently she had… in her latest music video for the song “Born This Way.” It was disturbing, but I decided some elements could be used for the cake. Now all I had to do was decide on sculpting or painting, to which I decided to go with painting. Part of me wishes I had gone with a combination of both, but again, my procrastination led to me only be able to do one or the other and, well, I was in the mood to paint.

So after pulling out the vodka from the freezer and filling the reservoirs in the paint palette I use for cake decorating, I began mixing in a variety of food coloring to get the range of colors I wanted for the cake. An hour later I had a painted masterpiece that people will devour in a mere matter of minutes. Okay, so it isn’t much of a masterpiece since, let’s be honest, I’m not a realistic artist but more of a cartoonist illustrator, so there are some exaggerated features. Still, it looks fun and hopefully my coworker will appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment