Saturday, March 12, 2011

Of Piss and Blood

After having a really good day with one of the boys (since the aunts are suddenly showing an interest in the other one now that we are more involved, but more on that later) it was time for bed. Let the mayhem ensue.

The boys are distinctly different. While Josh is older, he’s also the most needy and constantly seems to want attention and asks questions like, “Where are you?” when he’s standing in front of you. Little things like that, nothing major. Logan is more independent and while he requires less attention, the little devil on his shoulder telling him to do stuff means he requires a little more supervision.

So last night as I was getting ready to cook dinner Logan wanted to help. I agreed. It’d be good for him to learn how food is prepared and if he helps make it he’d be more prone to eating it, especially if it is an unfamiliar food. Sure enough I was planning on making Shrimp Pad Thai. And I’m incredibly thankful it is so easy to make! He counted the eggs as I was cracking them into a bowl and told me I needed to add carrots over and over until I finally did. While he did eat some, it wasn’t anywhere near his normal intake amount. Alas, I wasn’t going to fight it much, declared he needed to take two more bites and he was done.

We could tell he hadn’t had a nap yesterday too, and it was far too early for bedtime, so we got our coats and shoes on and went to the store. After all, we needed to buy socks and coloring and activity books for the munchkins. While we successfully bypassed the toy section, we were unable to walk out of the store with less than eighty dollars worth of stuff. Of course, some of that was us getting Bambi on Blu-ray since our DVD copy is nowhere to be found (although we know who borrowed it!) We had to watch that movie too, and since it was short and would end right around bedtime, we did. After Logan and I made popcorn.

With the movie over, it was time to potty and brush our teeth. Now, this is where the tricky part comes in. Part of me was telling myself the boy should go potty first then brush his teeth, but he was already on the stepstool in front of the sink so I put the toothpaste on his toothbrush and watched as he unsuccessfully began brushing his teeth. Tired boy. I grabbed the toothbrush, made a few passes to explain how to do it properly and he continued, even getting the very back. Not bad for a three year old. However, I noticed after giving him his cup to rinse that he immediately grabbed the hand towel and started wiping his crotch. I looked down on the floor and noticed a big wet spill. At first I thought it was water but then I couldn’t figure out how he could’ve spilled that much water. And then I noticed his socks were soaked along with his entire pant front. Yep, the boy had peed his pants while brushing his teeth… no less than a foot away from the toilet.

Stripped of pajamas, I sat him on the toilet while I cleaned up the mess where he peed a little more and pooped some too. Needless to say a bath was needed. Sleepy kids and bath time are not fun. Of course, I’d already given the dog a bath earlier so this would be easy, and it was. However, upon leaving the bathroom to get him tucked into bed for story time, the dog had decided it was time to scratch her ears up to the point that blood was bleeding profusely from them (slight exaggeration) so I had to attend to her needs and let Daddy Greg handle story time. Ugh. She now looked like she’d never even been bathed. God, I really hate yeast infections.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of parenting. It is great even when it's awful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's children, especially boys. They are always too busy to remember to go to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete