Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dr. Seuss, Jon Bon Jovi and I

What do Dr. Seuss, Jon Bon Jovi and I all have in common? We all share the same birthday.

Today is my birthday. Yea. Forgive my lack of enthusiasm but instead of doing anything fun for my birthday I’ll be working on cake orders for other peoples birthdays and celebrations. Double yea. The more I think about it the more I just want to buy plastic flotsam and use that as décor instead of take all that time making something people will probably take off and throw away to get to the good stuff. We’ll see where the day takes me on that route. I do still need to make a piano’s keyboard for the piano cake, however, so I’ll probably whip one of those up before the day is over. On top of that, I’ve got other projects I said I’d get done, and in usual Cory fashion suggested ways to complicate a rather simple idea, but fortunately in an uncharacteristic move, I verbally explored what I will probably end up doing while having the conversation with the person I’m doing the project for and decided to go ahead and go with the original plan. Oy! Why is it that I self-sabotage so often? I guess it is because I know that I can do these things, I just don’t always have the time to make them turn out the way I envision them.

So today will have no cake for me, no party or celebration, no nothing but grocery shopping, dog bathing, house cleaning and project starting and completing. I wonder if Dr. Seuss or Jon Bon Jovi ever had days like that? I mean, we’re all extremely talented individuals (“He’s so talented, don’t you think? I just love him, he’s so sexy.” Sorry, movie quote moment), but as Pisces we’re always trying to appease others. I have a feeling I’m not alone in this.

Alas, with much to do and so little time to do it, I must work on the projects I’ve committed myself to doing, even if that means it’ll be at the expense of my birthday. Perhaps while I’m at the craft store getting stuff for the Sunday School class I’m teaching this weekend, I’ll pick up a little something for me. Or perhaps I’ll make it a double-duty something for both! Any excuse to buy a few yards of fabric to teach kiddos about God while at the same time making sure it’ll work for the back of my Central Park quilt I plan on making soon has to be a good thing, right? Maybe I can squeeze in a little me time while out running errands. Hopefully this whole 34 thing will turn out better than 33 did.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I am also a pisces and "trying to appease others" suits me to a T. Hope you have time to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete