Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Animals

This morning it seems the animals are all much needier than usual. What’s that all about?

I have a morning routine, which, with the addition of Dexter has meant another quirk to fit in. Wake up, make coffee, give Lucy her pills before feeding her, feed the cats who will only eat separately and not the food they’re given because Tuesday is a bitch and Dexter is a stubborn little bastard, feed the fish, let the dog out to go potty, take out the compost bowl to the composter, let the chickens out if it isn’t raining too much, collect eggs, let the dog back in, turn on the bathtub faucet for Dexter to drink out of since he refuses to drink from a bowl, forget to turn the water off. Every once in a while, like today, they all seem to want me to give them complete, undivided, individual attention… even the chickens. Of course, I wonder if they think something is going to happen to them soon since the neighbor’s chickens all disappeared a couple days ago. Then again, they are going to be rehomed within the month, so perhaps their concerns are warranted.

The dog and cats on the other hand all seem to be vying for me to choose which one of them I love the most or something. Our normally bitchy Tuesday is all cuddly and purring, something I don’t think she’s done since the nineties. Stubborn Dexter, who is already playful and cuddly, has actually ventured into the living room to rub against my leg, walking back and forth like the cats in cartoons do when they want affection. Lazy Lucy kept giving me kisses and wanting me to keep petting her when normally after breakfast she just goes back to nap for a few hours or until dinner. Crazy chickens followed me and were all submissive and wanting me to pet them too, even the Mean Girls and one of the Wild Girls (Harmony is still skittish, so not her.)

I often wonder if it’s true that animals have a sixth sense about the future. If so, I hope their love and affection they all seem to be showering upon me this morning is a good sign and not some apocalyptic warning. Either way, I love them all and am going to miss the chickens when we have to move and they have to go live on a farm and get used to the fact that the roosters will have their way with them once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment