Wednesday, March 16, 2011

No Cuts Yet

Okay, so, after further analysis of my fabric choices, I really don’t like the inner blue I grabbed out of my Past Project Stash as the color, well, clashes badly. Back to square one, or is it?

When I typically make a baby blanket, the size is almost always the same or at least in a general range between thirty and thirty-four inches square. This makes it just the right size for a baby and can then be used as a carry along or wall hanging when they become toddlers. Well, that and you can get quite a few blankets this way using a queen-sized batting.

My dilemma is this: I have 4 fat quarters and some muslin yardage. Typically this would be enough, except that I want to use one of the fat quarters as the center square on which the appliqué will be sewed onto, which means that at most it’ll be eighteen inches square. That means, using the same method I use to border a majority of my baby blankets, the finished product would only be twenty-six inches square. But, I have options, right? Should I just break down and buy another fabric for the center? Should I simply say, “Screw it!” and make the quilt smaller? Or do I, and this third option just came to me, make the quilt a rectangle instead, utilizing the full size of the fat quarter I want to use in the center? Hmmm… I think I may finally have a satisfactory solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment