Monday, February 6, 2012

Chocolate Wasted

Pinterest has finally come through. I did something with it.

Ever since I found this cake while scrolling through Pinterest mindlessly with a colleague at work a few weeks ago, I’ve been obsessed with making a cake called Chocolate Wasted. Posted on the blog Art of Dessert (
http://artofdessert.blogspot.com) back in October 2011, it isn’t hard to see why, unless, of course, you’re allergic to chocolate. That would be sad because this cake is loaded! I finally had a reason to make it… a fellow chocoholic friend was having a birthday.


I’m not a stickler for recipes and generally use them as guidelines, so I opted instead for my basic dark chocolate fudge cake recipe but made it more decadent by doubling the butter and using Bulgarian buttermilk and a couple tablespoons of honey. For the frosting I almost made straight bittersweet chocolate ganache, but decided to make a more truffle-like frosting instead so I replaced half of the heavy cream (forty percent minimum milk fat, of course) with salted butter. It was amazing. Having used Guittard bittersweet chocolate for the frosting and semisweet for the drizzle (with a pinch of sea salt for good measure) I figured Hershey’s Special Dark chips would work for the sides as its cocoa content is in between the two. That and I was using Hershey products to cover the top of the cake. Miniature versions of Hershey Bars, Mr. Goodbars, Krackles, Special Darks and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups along with Rolos, Kisses and Whoppers.

The end result? Amazing. Seriously. You should totally make this cake and get chocolate wasted too.

No comments:

Post a Comment