Sunday, February 19, 2012

March for Equality

On Wednesday our church finished a one-hundred and sixteen mile walk from Vancouver to Olympia in support of same-sex marriage. Yesterday after work, and making cupcakes for a party later last night, I finished editing together the video.

Even though my husband and I were only walking seventeen miles of the stretch (well, we each signed up for five miles) I thought for sure I’d be able to walk the whole thing. I was wrong. Let’s just say uneven pavement and being severely out of shape didn’t help. My total miles ended up at about ten and a half. Oh well. The experience was great and I wouldn’t trade it in for anything.

Of course, while this march was planned last summer, we had no idea that there would be a bill to allow same-sex couples to marry pass both in the senate and the house and have the governor sign it into law during the walk. Still, it was apparent that many churches felt it was important to stand in solidarity for this cause to show that the religious right isn’t the only voice of religion out there. I couldn’t be prouder of not only our church, but all the other churches and synagogues that joined in the march to the state capitol in support of equal marriage rights.





No comments:

Post a Comment