Sunday, April 8, 2012

Anniversaries and Easter


Today my husband and I celebrate our sixteenth anniversary together, and by celebrate I mean we told each other, “Happy anniversary.” I know, we’re boring like that.

Most people do something romantic for their anniversary. Let me just say we are not most people. No getaway, dinner, night out… nothing. Well, nothing except going to church for Easter service.

Believe it or not, our pastor reads my blog. Yes, even with my colorful use of the English language. I’m a writer. I like words. I don’t like limitations on using words and therefore do not limit myself if I’m writing for an adult audience. Anyway, apparently my quilting adventures inspired his sermon this morning and I can’t wait to see how he’s going to incorporate quilts into it. A few of us quilters at church are even bringing some of our spring-inspired quilts to decorate the sanctuary. I was hoping to use one of my husband’s quilts his Aunt (“Gram”) Mae made but much like my thoughts on quilts, they are meant to be used and all of his have been used to the point where they are falling apart at the seams and stained with dirt, blood and sweat. Perhaps it would be appropriate to bring one of those quilts as it certainly would fit the Easter theme.

Our Easter week banners were also made by us quilters years ago to tell the Easter story. We decided on batiks, hence the reason for my enormous stash which I am now using for The Desperate Housewife’s Quilt (http://quiltjane.blogspot.com). I’m sure this will also be part of the sermon, or at least I’m guessing it will be.

But as far as our anniversary goes, not much planned. Friends of ours are heading to the Columbia Gorge today to get out of the house and enjoy the weather before it turns rainy again and we may catch up with them after church. Perhaps even take our dog, Lucy with us too. Hopefully with it being Easter and all, there won’t be too many people out doing the same.

Happy Easter! May the love of Jesus be ever present in your life throughout the year and the new life the Easter season brings inspire you to enjoy all that God has given us. Personally I am thankful for the sixteen fantastic years with my husband and have no doubt God played a role in making me take a seven in the morning psychology class in college where I met him. Happy anniversary, Greggy! While neither of us are where we thought we would be at this point in our lives, I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather share it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment