Friday, April 6, 2012

That 70s Quilt: More Chaining


Chain piecing is so easy, a caveman could do it. Well, maybe not, as a caveman would lack proper motor skills to run a 1963 Singer Touch and Sew Deluxe Zig-Zag Model 600 sewing machine.

The important part about chain piecing, especially if you are making a quilt with a specific pattern, is keeping all those pieces in their proper place. This is easier said than done. I like to work in groups or piles that are labeled. For That 70s Quilt I have each column pair labeled with the last column by itself as I have an odd number of columns. After stitching up columns 3 and 4, I went ahead and chained column 5 to 4. Now it will simply be a matter of chaining the remaining columns together to form the rows, which I will then label 1 through 11. Using sticky notes works great for this. Of course, I don’t trust the stickiness of them so I also pin all the way through the fabric so as to keep the piles intact.


No comments:

Post a Comment