Saturday, April 21, 2012

Weeds


Dandelions are like your lawn’s way of giving you the middle finger. At least, that’s what my grandma told me.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with some weeds. I mean, if they are growing within the grassy areas and they aren’t overwhelming, why not let a few survive. However, when they start growing in the rocks, they are a pain in the ass and nearly impossible to kill without using chemical persuasion.

Our front yard is actually one large rock garden. That typically would be a good thing, but we noticed last summer that one of the neighbors overseeded their lawn on a rather windy day and blew a ton of it our way. Balls. If the rocks were larger and had less rooting areas it would be fine as the grass would quickly die off, but the rocks are small and crushed and have plenty of areas for the grass to take hold and attach itself to the underlying weed barrier. Another thing, I hate weed barriers. All they do is stop the weeds from taking root into the soil beneath, not anything above them. Trying to rake that shit up is impossible as it just takes the entire rocky surface up with it when I finally do manage to get pull on a weaker area.

Alas, it appears there are two options: hand pull or chemically spray. I ain’t hand pulling all that grass. The dandelions yes, but the grass? Hell no. I’ve used a product called Grass Be Gone which only kills grasses and can be used around ornamentals and flowers and bushes without adverse affect, and may try it again in this area. However, if anyone has a better alternative that does not involve boiling an assload of water, I’m all for it. Hmmm… maybe I should read up on vinegar to see if that would be effective?

No comments:

Post a Comment