Thursday, April 19, 2012

Creative Energy and Egg Noodles


I was all ready to do some quilting yesterday but a funny thing happened, I didn’t. Okay, so maybe it isn’t that funny.

Coming off of my puppet high, I had a lot of creative energy flowing through me yesterday. However, instead of doing any quilting, I somehow decided to focus my attention on making homemade chicken noodle soup from scratch, stock and noodles included, and homemade bread. Knowing that my husband was going to be home late from the Ridgefield High School play rehearsal, I figured soup would be easy to reheat.

First off, I’ve never made my own egg noodles. After yesterday I have no idea why. They are so easy and taste so much better! Of course, they were a little thicker than one would get in the grocery store because I didn’t roll them out as thin as they should’ve been, but for chicken noodle soup they worked out perfectly. I also used a food processor so the dough came together in a matter of seconds.

Egg Noodles
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cold butter, diced
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
2 eggs

In a food processor, combine flour and diced butter by pulsing 3 times. Lightly beat the eggs and yolks before adding the flour mixture. Pulse until it comes together in a ball. On a floured surface (use a lot to prevent sticking) roll the dough out thinly. I did mine in two batches for thick noodles, but you may need to do it in three or four for thinner. Allow to dry about 20 minutes on a pasta rack, or do what I did and use wooden salad forks resting between the bowl and blade base of the Kitchen-Aid stand mixer. Cut in desired shapes. Boil for 4 to 10 minutes depending on size and shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment