Sunday, June 5, 2011

Vegetable Gardens

Yes, yesterday was absolutely gorgeous with eighty-five degree weather, perfect for planting vegetables. And yes, I forgot my camera yet again, so no pictures.

Having already made plans to meet my gardening partner to plant veggies in a plot at our church’s community garden on Saturday, luck would have it there was sunshine… lots and lots of sunshine. Well, by the time she showed up I was done and we were packing up. Oh well, at least we got stuff in the ground and plotted out the rest of the area with her starts she brought, which fortunately filled up the remainder nicely. Whew, I was worried I’d planted too much.

So here’s the thing, planting vegetables and fruits I find fun. Planting with a three and four year old who want to help but will, uh, to put it nicely, destroy the poor little plants before they really have a chance to live, not so much. This isn’t to say I wouldn’t like to continue to teach them gardening, just that perhaps they should have their own box to do it in and not with my stuff. Yes, I’m greedy like that.

Now, because I didn’t have enough fun planting at the church, I also decided tonight, after cooling off, to go ahead and plant the tomatoes we bought last week. The boys naturally wanted to help so I figured, why not let them. After we picked all the weeds out of the box I mixed in the rabbit poop my husband threw in there right after we moved in and we began digging holes for the tomatoes. This time I decided to go ahead and let them actually handle the plants, which could have been a multitude of factors, but more likely a bit of heat stroke. Fortunately there weren’t any casualties. We then planted some marigolds in the corners, stuck the cages in and watered.

Okay, so with all this done, what kind of response did the kids have? Well, the younger boy was busy chasing the dog, and the older one asked why the tomatoes weren’t ready to eat yet because we planted them already so they should have grown and made tomatoes. Apparently I’ve still got my work cut out for me in explaining just how long it takes food to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment