Sunday, August 7, 2011

Camp: Part 3

"Stop and take a deep breath!"

This weekend has been far more enjoyable and relaxing than I ever thought possible. For one thing, it isn’t structured. Okay, so it is, but really just enough to focus on certain activities that someone has to be in charge of. Swimming, crafts, breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Actually it is a bit more structured than I realized as I look at the schedule sitting on the table next to me, but honestly it doesn’t feel like such. It has, however, gone by way too fast.

I never went to camp as a kid, nor had I really felt like I missed out on it. Of course my inability to use public restrooms except for in times of great crisis or if nobody else was going to be using them and overly self-conscious and unhealthy body image didn’t help matters either. In any matter, I had no inclination to do so and in turn didn’t have a reference of what to expect on a church retreat of the same caliber. So far, all expectations have been thrown out the window as it is nothing like I anticipated.

So even if you haven’t had the chance to simply take in what it really means to have a connection with a church family, I still invite you to take our motto for the weekend, which at random times has been shouted out or quietly spoken: Stop and take a deep breath! It’s amazing how this simple act can help you experience God in ways you may have never imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment