Thursday, August 25, 2011

Poor

Being poor sucks. Being poor and responsible for pets and people sucks more.

With nine dollars left on our food stamp card, twenty in our checking account, a handful of small bills leftover from the garage sale my husband had at the old house to make enough money to go to Wenatchee, a change jar and a whole host of stuff we need to survive until next week’s payday, I don’t know how we are going to manage. My brain hurts just thinking about how to fill up the gas tank to get to work, let alone figure out how to pay for the dog food I ran out of this morning while feeding her.

While I didn’t care all too much for the movie Gone With the Wind, the line Scarlet O’Hara says, “If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again,” sometimes conjures up in my head. Of course, the term ‘Lie, Cheat, Steal or Kill’ I first heard in A Very Brady Sequel. I honestly don’t think I’ll go to that extreme, but I have to admit I am starting to understand where she was coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment