Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Time To...

The song Turn! Turn! Turn! by The Byrds has been running through my mind a lot lately. Perhaps my subconscious is trying to tell me something.

I’m not sure what it is about music that is so powerful, but when I am happy, sad or frustrated, music seems to help me either elevate my mood or get through the emotions in a timely manner. When I’m happy or need a pick-me-up I tend to listen to Rob Thomas or Matchbox20 or, if I’m elated and have the time, the entire collection of Matchbox20 and Rob Thomas in order. Why? I don’t know how to explain it but something about all the doom and gloom surrounding a majority of the songs makes me feel good and actually start dancing… by myself, of course. When I’m grieving over the loss of something or someone I care about, the only album I turn to is Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily. Between the lyrics and her melodic, enchanting voice, I find a way to get through my grief by remembering the good times, bad times, loss and finally peace with what has happened. And anytime I’m frustrated or need to get out of a funk, I listen to The Mamas and The Papas.

So when Turn! Turn! Turn! starting playing in my head, a song I do not own but is perhaps on my husband’s iPod since he’s got like a million or so songs loaded up on that thing, I tried to contemplate why. I could think of two reasons; first being that our pastor read the scripture in Ecclesiastes the lyrics are based on recently, and second, the song has a lot of meaning to me right now in my life. With all of the turmoil and uprooting that has been going on lately, perhaps my subconscious is trying to tell me there is a reason for it all. Or perhaps I’m simply forcing my brain to accept what has happened and put a song to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment