After raiding my entire stash of batiks, I finally gathered enough variety to start the fourth block in The Desperate Housewife’s Quilt. It took some doing, as the type of block called for a wide variety of colors. If I really wanted to make it easier on myself I could’ve thrown in a few other prints, but I wanted to keep it fully batiks with black and white. Alas, I digressed into textured solids for this block anyway.
Once I figured out the colors, it was time to cut into the many different sized pieces required to make the block. There was no way to make this arduous task go by any faster than simply rotary cutting the pieces one at a time. I’m sure if I had a fabric cutter like an AccuQuilt Go! or something similar, it’d have taken far less time, but honestly I like the process of cutting each piece individually. There is something to be said about being slightly less than perfect.
Now, sewing the pieces together was a breeze as I chain-stitched where I could, finger pressing my seems open as I went. After it was done I still had some time to start the next block, but that was about it. Perhaps after work tonight I’ll finish block five.