Sunday, August 14, 2011

Must Make Cake

A little piece of me dies every time I have to turn away a cake order because of a scheduling conflict. Okay, so this may be a bit of an exaggeration.

Since I have been working again, it is becoming more and more difficult to do cake orders. Working every Friday and most Saturdays doesn’t help matters, as those tend to be the most popular days people want cakes delivered. I mean, I had to take time off of work to do the last wedding cake I did, which meant that after deducting costs for supplies and the amount paid, I ended up losing money on the deal. Not so great for someone barely getting by.

I guess I need to figure out a way to tell people why my prices are the way they are. I suppose I could always ask people how much money I have to lose in order for them to feel like they’ve gotten a good deal because let’s be honest here, people who have money like nothing more than taking as much as they can from people who don’t, right? Hmm… maybe that’s too harsh. I could tell people if they can’t afford a custom cake to either learn to make it themselves or live with a mass produced, flotsam covered Crapmart cake would be a better approach? Eek! That doesn’t sound very nice either. Perhaps I could just be honest and say my prices are the way they are because they are a fair price for what I am selling.

If I am going to continue to make cakes, it has got to be profitable. Otherwise why would I bother spending my free time doing something for other people’s enjoyment when I could be quilting or writing or painting instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment